The laser-cutting division of Laser Technik ltd.
We have our own range of laser-cut and etched products including specialist war-gaming scenery.
Design, prototype and production services for laser cut/marked products.
We can make items to your design, this is what we need:
- If possible a drawing or photo of what you'd like. We can base a design on your rough sketch
- There are 3 types of processing.
- In Vector mode the laser follows the lines in a drawing and the laser can cut right through the material
- Some vector lines can be set to burn at reduced power and will only go part-way through the material. This can also be used for line-drawings on the surface for simple images where it will be faster that raster etching.
- In Raster mode the laser head scans side to side operating much as a dot matrix printer works. The laser beam is switched very fast to make a pattern of tiny dots on the material. The power setting can be varied between dots so some are very shallow, others burn a little deeper making a textured surface and, if the base material chars (like wood or MDF), the deeper burns will look blacker. Rasters are used for text or even photos
- We can burn images onto both sides of the material with careful alignment of the workpiece
- If you want to produce your own laser-ready artwork, please contact us for the technical details, acceptable file formats, suitable open-source design software and coding standards
- Materials we can cut: mostly we use 3mm MDF however we can also cut card, perspex, leather and laser-grade 3mm plywood (a higher quality wood finish)
- The thickness we can cut depends on the material, for most of those listed several millimetres. Metal, glass and stone can only take a surface engraving.
- Materials we can raster-etch: in addition to the materials we can cut we can also surface etch glass, slate and some anodised or painted metal surfaces
- Images can not be applied to bare metal but anodised aluminium can be used and a special (expensive) spray can be applied to other metals before etching to leave a highly durable (black) image.
- Other materials: it's always possible to experiment, people have done some crazy things like burning patterns onto foodstuffs!
- Accessories: we can provide appropriate fixings - brooch pins, key rings, necklaces, (fridge) magnets. There are further possibilities such as embedding LED lights in the product.
- Finishing: commonly the medium needs no further finishing. MDF and Wood will have burn marks, edges are black but these are not unattractive, however various paint finishes are possible
- Cost depends on a number of variables: material, dimensions of product, quantity required, timescales, lead time for non-stock materials, complexity of vector and raster cuts, accessories and finishing.
- Slot-together items: The cut lines are so thin that tags slotted into holes of the same dimensions are a good fit and may not need glue to hold together well
- Flexible mdf "hinges" and curved surfaces can be seen in a decorative box in some of the composite images on the gallery page. These do take a long time on the laser but the result is attractive and unusual.